I hereby add my name to the coalition of concerned citizens and organizations who are mobilizing for an immediate cessation of the dumping of toxic Coal Ashes anywhere in or around Puerto Rico. I will not allow our people and our land to be taken advantage of, nor sold out by special interest groups and their supporters in the legislatures of Puerto Rico and Congress who are willing to pollute Puerto Rico for short term financial gain. I insist that our children have the opportunity to grow and live in a healthy Puerto Rico free of toxic Coal Ash.
In order to protect Puerto Rico for future generations, we the people of the Disapora, allies in the United States and abroad, stand committed in solidarity with Puerto Rico to organizing until we achieve the following from AES:
Immediate end to dumping, disposing, or use of toxic Coal Ash or coal combustion residuals in or around Puerto Rico, by AES, or any corporation or government entity. Send any and all ashes back to their original source and disposed of properly outside of Puerto Rico. AES cleans up all their toxic Coal Ash that has been dumped and/or used for construction of any kind anywhere in Puerto Rico. AES appropriately compensates the people of Peñuelas, Guayama, Arroyo, Salinas, Humacao, and every other community found to be affected, now and in the future.
Knowing that corporations concede nothing without being forced to, in order to build sufficient power to stop AES and future environmental disasters, I commit to urging the following of our Congressional Representatives, National Latino organizations, and our Environmental Justice allies;
1. Our elected representatives shall each author and send a letter to the EPA demanding the EPA immediately intervene and issue a cease and desist order on the dumping of toxic Coal Ash or its derivatives anywhere in Puerto Rico.
2. A commitment from National Latino organizations to take on the issue of toxic waste being dumped all over of Puerto Rico, and to confront the issue with the urgency that the threat to our people’s health and the destruction of our island deserves.
3. The support and direct action of U.S. environmental justice organizations to help the people of Puerto Rico in their resistance to the destruction of their natural environment.
In order to involve every Boricua and ally in this struggle, I commit to doing and encouraging the following individual actions:
1. Contact AES directly and demand they halt their dumping of toxic Coal Ash in Puerto Rico:
AES Corporation Headquarters - 703-522-1315
4300 Wilson Boulevard, 11th Floor Arlington, VA 22203
AES Puerto Rico - Tel. 787-866-8117 Fax: 787-866-8139
L.P.Carretera No. 3 KM 142.0Bo. Pte. Jobos Guayama, PR 00784
2.Contact your congressional representative and demand an immediate halt to the dumping of toxic Coal Ash anywhere in Puerto Rico. We want to call everyone, but especially members of the House committee on Natural Resources.
3. Make a donation to an organization who is fighting on the ground in Puerto Rico. We recommend a $20 donation to Vive Boriken.They have been at the encampment in Peñuelas since day one providing various kinds of support. They also came to CT in June to educate us on this issue and the extent of the permanent damage caused by these ashes.
4. Contact any local environmental or Latino groups and ask them to sign our petition demanding an immediate halt to the dumping of toxic Coal Ash anywhere in or around Puerto Rico, and to send their congressional representatives a letter alerting them of this crisis.
5. Change your social media profile picture to the graphic below to show everyone that our island’s natural resources are important to you.