*More details will be added as they are confirmed*
Structure of the June 3rd Kickoff event
9am-10am Registration and breakfast
10am: Opening remarks " Why is it important that we have a Boricua Specific statewide organization"
10:15 Explanation of the schedule and elections
Working in solidarity with the movements on the island (Moderated by: Jason Ortiz CT Puerto Rican Agenda Organizer)
- Aimee Montoya President and founder of Vive Boriken
- Julio López Varona Lead Organizer Make the Road Bridgeport
- Stephanie Mercado-Irizarry Graduate student of Latin American Studies at the University of Connecticut
- Carlos Antonio Torre Professor of Education at SCSU; Immediate Past-President of the New Haven Connecticut Board of Education
The state of bilingual education in CT (Moderated by: Yanil Terón, Executive Director of the Center for Latino Progress)
- Rose Reyes Educator and Advocate
- Robert Cotto, Jr. Hartford Board of Education, Director of Urban Educational Initiatives at Trinity College
- Daisy Torres Director of Bilingual Programs, New London Public Schools
How can I get more involved in my city? (Moderated By: Miguel Castro Meriden City Councilman)
- Juan Hernandez 32BJ SEIU Connecticut District Leader
- Ana Valentin-Jackson Board Chair Puerto Rican Parade, Hartford
- Eloisa Melendez City Councilwoman for the City of Norwalk
- Wildaliz Bermudez Hartford City Councilwoman
Helping our community access healthcare in CT (Moderated by: Melvin Medina Advocacy & Outreach Director for the American Civil Liberties Union of Connecticut (ACLU-CT))
- Ingrid Alvarez-DiMarzo Hispanic Federation of CT
- Dr. Silvia E. Rabionet Associate Professor at Nova Southeastern University College of Pharmacy
- Frances G. Padilla President of the Universal Health Care Foundation of Connecticut, Inc.
Growing our business community (Moderated By: Joseph Rodriguez Deputy State Director for U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal)
- Frank Alvarado- Small Business Administration, Bridgeport CT office
- Jose Perez, Owner of the "Meat Truck"
- Julian “Zitro the Great” Ortiz, Homegrown Battleground Rap League
12-1 Lunch Plenary "What is the National Puerto Rican Agenda?"
- Lunch will be provided
1-2pm Elections begin: At Large Candidates get 5 minutes to pitch their candidacy
2 pm Voting commences. All participants fill out one ballot, with one name for each position
3 pm Winners announced, new board is sworn in and adjourns the meeting